FIU Libraries have three GPS (Global Positioning System) units available for loan to currently enrolled FIU students, faculty and staff. These units can be checked out at the Circulation desk at the Green Library. The devices include:
- 2 Garmin Etrex Legend HCx
- 1 Magellan MobileMapper 6
Each unit is part of a kit that includes all cables and accessories, excluding batteries and SD cards. If you need an SD card, please contact the GIS Center for assistance.
Policies and Procedures for Use
- The GPS units are available on a first come, first served basis.
- The maximum loan period for the GPS units is three days. If a longer loan period is needed please contact the GIS Center.
- Only current FIU students, faculty and staff are eligible to borrow the units.
- There is a $30 late fee per day for each GPS kit.
- GPS kits come with several pieces, including software, CD-ROMS and USB cables. Each piece is checked out individually. If not returned, users will be charged for each missing piece.
- If a unit is lost, stolen, or damaged the borrower will be charged the total cost to replace each piece.
- Please be sure to clear all data before returning the unit.
- Units do not come with batteries. Users are responsible for providing their own batteries or relying on an external power source via the USB cable or power adapters provided with the GPS kit. Battery life for units is approximately 10-12 hours.
- About the Global Positioning System
- The Global Positioning System — an introduction by Peter H. Dana from the University of Colorado
- Using GIS with GPS